Saturday, January 6, 2018

A Fly Line for Lake Dredging

   Easily entertained & happy to fish, I like it all. Though there are some things I like better than others.

I love lake fishing. But admit I’m no big fan of the bobber-midging approach so popular on the Northwest lakes I fish. Sure, that does have its day, but I don’t like staring at a bobber all day, my attention focused there while the world happens. If I look away for a moment (which I’m often prone to do) sure-nuff that’s when the bobber goes under. Attention deficit aside, I prefer to dredge, most of the time fishing a big Leech, Dragonfly Nymph, or Carey Special. These usually bring a smashing take while stripped, & I like that. Also, dredging seems to bring a better grade of trout than midging does, generally (though certainly not always).


Luckily, the lakes I fish most often harbor wall-to-wall populations of dragonflies & leeches, so one can seldom go wrong with these. My favorite lakes drop off quickly from shoreline weed beds. As long as the water is cool enough, the drop-off in front of the weeds is the favored hunting zone of ‘gators’ (big trout) routinely cruising the lush zone seeking edible critters. There on the weedy drop-offs is where I like to intercept them. Do some gator hunting.
Carey Special

In early spring, then again in late fall when the water cools enough, trout are in shallow, so I go with a full-floating line rigged with a 15’ fluoro leader. When employing the floating line I use flies weighted with wire under the body. A bead may be used, though take care it isn’t so heavy that it sinks the fly too quickly or tips it off the horizontal plane. I cast the fly to the weed line, let it sink a bit, then retrieve it very slowly with a hand-twist retrieve, pausing often to let the fly sink as it fishes down the drop-off. Trout will take the fly during a pause, & the floating line acts as an indicator, suddenly surging ahead, signaling the take. You watch the floating line when you’re operating with this method. If I can’t get a visual on the drop-off, I’ll cast & count down before starting to work the retrieve, starting with a 10-count, then going ten seconds deeper with each cast until finding the sweet zone. I like the ease of the floating line set-up, as it allows me to meet the chance calibaetis or midge hatch (yes midges without a bobber) without the need to change lines or carry an extra rod. But that early & late season fishing might be better met with a slow-sinking line, which will accomplish the same result, while allowing for a faster retrieve without lifting the fly out of the strike zone, as the floating line will if the fly is retrieved rapidly – & sometimes they want it moving fast. So…

As the season proceeds & the water warms, the fish move deeper. Though a sink tip line with a slow sink-rate will cover the shallows, there comes a point in the season when a faster sinking line gets the first nod. I’m currently using the Cortland Compact Sink lines with 28’ sinking heads, in Type 3, 6, & 9. The Type 9 has a 9ips sink rate; & if I could only have one it would be the Type 9 (I would miss the Type 6) – but each will have its day as ideal, & all three would pretty much cover the spectrum of still-water situations a serious dredger might encounter. Each Compact sink-rate is a different color for easy identification, & all have a black, sinking head section. All feature a moderate sink-rate running line, which helps to keep the fly down in the zone when stripped. The 28’ sinking head gets down & fishes like a full-sinking line, yet casts a helluva lot better. The fairly aggressive (yet forgiving) head configuration turns over & lays out heavy Bugger & Leech patterns with ease. I think anybody considering a good dredging line for the lake would be more than satisfied with the Cortland Compact Sink lines.

When fishing sinking lines I like my flies non-weighted for better suspension. Even with an innocuous black sink-tip, when fishing lakes I like at least an 8’ fluoro leader. A longer leader doesn’t hurt in clear lakes, particularly if the trout are seeing some pressure – & if the line bellies down onto the weed tops, the longer leader & non-weighted fly are less likely to get dragged through.

Here's a catalogue of the Cortland Compact lines: https://www.cortlandline.com/